Drip irrigation systems are very popular choices for lawn care these days, as they save water, money and effort. But to make the most of your irrigation system, you need to focus on its upkeep. Do you know what that entails? Here you will learn some easy tips and tricks to maintain your drip irrigation system. You do not need to work hard or take out much time from your busy schedule to get the desired results.
Frequency of Checking Your Drip Irrigation System
To ensure your drip irrigation system is functioning properly, you need to check it periodically. Find out which spots have been under-watered or over-watered as they indicate if your irrigation system is working well or not. Do a quick but thorough check of the irrigation system each spring and make sure every part is working correctly before the really hot summer weather starts.
Parts of Drip Irrigation System to Inspect Periodically
1. Filters: The proper functioning of a drip irrigation system depends a lot on filter size and type. Check to make sure filters are in good condition so that they can keep all dirt and contaminants out of the system. This prevents blockages and helps it last longer.
2. Fittings: Make sure connections are secure at every valve control zone. If the fittings are damaged or broken, replace them right away to prevent losing water and compounding damage.
3. Potential leaks: For even water distribution, you need to check for leaks. When one spot is over-watered, there may be a leak in your drip irrigation system. Because of a leak further up the line, there may be a dry spot which is not getting enough water and is hindering the system’s performance.
4. Pressure: Most drip irrigation system malfunctions are due to high pressure. The system operates best at approximately 20 to 50 psi. To check if the pressure is within the right range, go for a lateral drive.
Use Mulch to Cover your Drip Irrigation System
Foot traffic and sun can adversely affect the tubing of your drip irrigation system. Cover all tubing with mulch to prevent cracks or sun damage. This will increase the system’s life, prevent water loss via evaporation, and reduce soil erosion, thus improving your lawn’s health.
Additional Tips to Check Performance of Drip Irrigation System
To ensure your drip irrigation system stays in perfect shape, prepare a checklist of items to assess and actions to take.
- Flush the screen and filter if you do not have a self-cleaning filter, and inspect each part of the system individually to make sure it is functioning properly or if there are any wet or dry spots.
- Look frequently for damaged tubing, emitters, and fittings. If you find that the emitter is clogged, soak it in vinegar. Always check the pressure and never forget to replace the damaged or clogged emitters or other parts immediately.
- Clean your drip irrigation system thoroughly so that you can water your plants and maintain the look of your lawn.
Taking care of your drip irrigation system is easy if you follow the above guidelines precisely. Or get in touch with an irrigation system installer for professional installation. Once you hand over responsibility to an expert, you can simply relax during the installation process. A drip irrigation system makes your life easier, so maintain it properly and your lush green lawn will thank you.