A well-watered lawn is essential to any healthy Toronto-area garden. It can also increase your home’s value by as much as 15%.
But problems with your sprinkler irrigation system can cause many difficulties, like dry patches, soil erosion, and wasted water and money. Ignoring faults in the sprinkler system can make the situation even worse.
That’s why when you notice any irrigation system problem you should contact Green Valley. We offer top-quality lawn irrigation system repair in the Toronto area.
How do you spot if an irrigation system repair is needed? Here are five warning signs that can save you money and hassle.
Let’s take a look.
Signs That Your Sprinkler System Is In Need of Repair
A large irrigation sprinkler system is an integral part of any landscape design. It takes the guesswork and time commitment out of yard maintenance so you never have to worry about watering your lawn. But a sprinkler system that isn’t maintained properly can waste up to 25,000 gallons of water in a year. You can stop that from happening by knowing the warning signs related to sprinkler repair. So, let’s find out what they are.
- Uneven Watering: Irrigation systems are designed to evenly distribute water across your yard. If you notice that some areas of your lawn are soaking or flooding then you may have a leak somewhere in your system. It’s crucial to get this fixed as soon as possible to prevent further damage and the growth of mildew.
Likewise, pay attention to any dry patches of grass. These are signs that a head or two may need to be adjusted or a valve needs to be looked at. If the problem results from a clog, you can clear it yourself by removing the sprinkler head and carefully clearing out the debris. However, if the problem is a broken pipe or faulty valve, you’ll likely need to call in a professional to make the necessary irrigation system repair.
- Change in Water Pressure: Consistent and even water flow is what keeps your lawn and garden looking healthy, but a change in water pressure can cause severe watering issues. If the pressure is too low, for instance, the plants and grass won’t get sufficient water. Or, if the pressure becomes too high, it can prematurely wear out the equipment.
Check the regulators and control valves to see if they’re causing the pressure change. If they are, you may be able to fix the problem by adjusting the settings or cleaning the valves. However, if they are working fine, you likely have an issue with the irrigation pipe. These pipes can fall out of place or become clogged over time, affecting water pressure.
In that case, it’s best to call in a lawn irrigation system repair professional in Toronto.
- Sputtering Heads: Sputtering sprinklers are mainly caused by clogs. When you don’t maintain your irrigation system regularly, debris can easily get caught in the heads and prevent water from flowing correctly.
You can usually clear out a clog by simply removing the sprinkler head and cleaning it out. If the problem persists, you may have an issue with the pipe or valve. In that case, schedule a repair call as soon as you can.
- Faulty Control Valves: Valves are responsible for delivering the right amount of water to each area of your yard. So, if one isn’t working correctly, it can cause water to flow constantly or not at all. This can lead to overwatering or underwatering, depending on which zones are affected. You will notice damp areas around pressure regulators and filters because of faulty valves.
Faulty valves are often caused by corrosion or a build-up of minerals. A good cleaning is often good enough to get it working properly again. If that doesn’t fix the problem, contact Green Valley Irrigation to diagnose and repair the issue.
- High Water Bills: It’s normal for your water bill to fluctuate from month to month. But if you notice that it is abnormally high suddenly, it is probably due to a problem in your irrigation system that needs fixing.
For instance, you could have a leak in the pipeline that is causing water to flow even when the sprinklers aren’t turned on. Or the sprinkler valve may be stuck in the position. Or, your system may need reprogramming to adjust the timing and water amounts for the summer.
If you notice any of these signs, immediately contact our lawn irrigation system repair service. We can save you from having to make a more expensive repair in the future. Schedule an appointment with a Green Valley Irrigation expert today to get the best sprinkler installation, repair, and landscaping services.